Monday, January 18, 2016

Sisters

Several years ago my sister and brother-in-law bought a house in Pennsylvania. Not far over the border from New Jersey but still. I don't think they ever realized how hard it was for me to see them move so far away. Now, most people wouldn't consider 60 miles "far away" but for me, it might as well be 600.

Growing up I felt like all I had was my sister. Friends have come and gone, parents have come and gone, but my sister and I remained close no matter what. As kids, we couldn't be any more different. She was a bookworm, overachiever, and parent pleaser. I was an outdoorsy tomboy who did well enough in school but didn't try my hardest. We changed as we grew up. I put more effort in, started to read more, and became girlier. She pretty much stayed the same in a lot of respects but changed in her owns ways too. But it never seemed to matter. The saying "opposites attract" isn't just for couples, it works for siblings too. 

When she was away at college and I was still in high school we still talked all the time and saw each other on weekends and over breaks. Then she moved back home for nursing school and I went abroad for a year. Still, we stayed close. I came home and she moved in with her boyfriend (now husband) and it was known I'd be just as close to him as I am with her. 

When she moved away, a little part of me was ripped apart. Then she had my nephew and it got even harder. When I was single it was easier to drop everything for the weekend and spend time with them. But now, not that it's anyone's fault, it's harder to go as often. Our work schedules don't match up, I work six days a week, have grad school homework... It's just not as easy. I find myself getting more and more upset when I have to leave after spending a day or two with them. The thing is, I can't see myself living in New Jersey forever but I also can't imagine living in Pennsylvania. But I know I can't move far away because I can't handle having more of myself ripped apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment